440 West Inc - Plaza Deck and Basement Restoration Project - Update 1
Dear Fellow Homeowners,
The restoration of the plaza deck and lower-level garage basement has been in the 440 West's horizon since 2017. Well, the time has come to do it. The project plans have advanced to the point of being poised to sign a contract between now and early March and looking for a starting date of May 3, 2021.
The restoration consists of (1) the replacement of the waterproofing material on the plaza deck, adjacent terrace balcony-decks, and planters, (2) the replacement of adjacent expansion joints, (3) the restoration of the plaza deck slab, basement ceiling, walls and columns
The tentative plans for the Plaza Deck and Basement Restoration project are as follows:
- The projected starting date is May 3, 2021.
- The duration of the project is expected to be 270 days, weather permitting.
- The Project will be executed in two Phases.
- Phase I: The work will be concentrated on the terraces and their planters. During that phase, the pool will remain open. However, during the working hours, the pool is not expected to be a very nice place to be, because of the noise, dust, and odors generated by scraping of the old waterproofing membrane. For this reason, the Board will make arrangements for our fellow owners and guests to have access to a pool facility nearby. This phase is expected to last for three (3) to four (4) months, weather permitting.
- Phase II: The work will initially be concentrated on the plaza deck, and gradually shift to the basement. While working on the plaza deck, the pool will be closed. Once the plaza deck is waterproofed and the pavers laid down, the pool will reopen. Again, during the time that the pool is closed, the Board will make arrangements for owners and guests to use the pool facilities of one of the adjacent hotels. Our best guess is that the pool will be closed for four (4) months, weather permitting.
Again, these plans are tentative, because we have not signed the contract yet. Once the contract is signed, we will have a preconstruction meeting with the Contractor (RL James), the Project Engineer (Lee Levoir, Biller & Reinhart) and the 440 West Special Projects Manager (Sam Vazquez ) to iron out the details. The schedule and all other details will be shared with the Community, as soon as they become available. Stay tuned.
Thank you for your patience